[WikiEN-l] Image statistics -- 374 000+ "fair use" images

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Mon Jul 17 22:18:34 UTC 2006

Steve Bennett wrote:

>It's not so much "inertia resisting the change" as "difficulty
>migrating content to Commons". We don't even discourage people from
>uploading free content to en.wikipedia. Buried in a whole page of
>daunting instructions on the upload page is a note that "if you are
>uploading a file under a free license (not fair use!), consider
>uploading it to the Wikimedia Commons". Another obstacle is that the
>descriptions of all the licences are totally different on Commons.

Many of en:'s habitual big uploaders have already switched to
commons, so it's partly a question of how much we want to
encourage smaller-scale uploaders that haven't made the move. It
would be interesting to see the results of a query on who has
uploaded the most free images to en: in the past year or so, and
perhaps ask them their reasons for not using commons instead.

Stan