[WikiEN-l] Image statistics -- 374 000+ "fair use" images

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Mon Jul 17 17:24:12 UTC 2006

maru dubshinki wrote:

>On 7/17/06, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>What's wrong with Commons that we shouldn't upload obviously free En
>>content there? The only problems I've ever had with Commons is the
>>difficulty of getting things which are probably (but not
>>unambiguously) copyvios deleted, because the collective knowledge of
>>US copyright law is pretty low there (or ambivalent when not low, "US
>>shouldn't be our standard" and all that), but never a problem with
>>free content.
>>
>>FF
>>

>Wait- it isn't policy to upload Free images to Commons? I thought it was.

It's recommended but not required. There aren't many reasons left
to upload free images to en:, but there's some inertia resisting
the change. Plus, in the absence of single signon, it would result
in many more redundant logins to merge later, so my personal
inclination is not to press the issue until after single signon is
up and running.

There have been some criticism of commons policy, but I attribute
that to commons being genuinely multinational. For instance,
en: and de: WP editors are mostly happily unaware of their differing
practices, but on commons they can end up butting heads over how
to handle a shared image.

Stan