[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

ScottL scott at mu.org
Mon Jul 17 03:57:34 UTC 2006

Ilmari Karonen wrote:
> Bryan Derksen wrote:
>> Why is this not a good thing? Our articles are NPOV and verifiable, and
>> easily corrected should errors in them be found. What would be a better
>> site to have as the #1 hit?
>
> That's a good point.  Given that we don't, currently, provide any
> information on Brian Peppers, I'm glad, for the sake of human dignity,
> that Snopes does (and actually outranks us on Google).  Because if they
> didn't, the next sites down the list are Wikitruth and YTMND.
>
> Reference: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22brian+peppers%22

[this is not so much a direct reply to this post as a general feeling
about this thread]
   Others have pointed this out I am sure but it seems to me that many
of these less notables, especially the meme ones, quickly become less
so.  To the point that the most notable thing about them is that they
have a wikipedia article, because otherwise they would have been
forgotten.  The "Human dignity" is a value judgment and is therefore POV
argument is, to me at least somewhat specious, since notability is also
a value judgment (that is why not include any thing that can be verified
even if its not notable).

   As a community we have established standards for what is
encyclopedic.  Some have historical precedent others less so, but they
all are ultmatly derived from value judgments.  That said I think the
most compelling argument against this sort of article is not human
dignity (though its a good one), its just that we really do seem to have
let the bar of notability fall to a level that I think harms the project.

Dalf