[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia is forever.

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Sat Jul 15 20:03:12 UTC 2006

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

>Or, is it the belief here that a "living" Wikipedia, still being
>actively updated and open to such updates from the general public,
>will continue to exist for centuries to come?

I think it's quite likely. There is some scientific software that
dates back into the 1960s, even the 1950s in a couple cases, and
it's still being worked on despite being started on close to the
very dawn of the computer age.

As time stretches out, context-setting becomes more and more
important. The thousand-year-old [[Suda]] is online - eye-opening
to read its entries that are equivalent to our stubs, and be
unable to get much from them because things are mentioned
but not explained, and the cited works have long since vanished.

Ironically, an implication is that a Brian Peppers article
then becomes needed just to supply the background to all the
arguing on this list and elsewhere... :-)

Stan