[WikiEN-l] [[Blocking of Wikipedia in mainland China]]: mainspace or not

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 15 16:34:01 UTC 2006

Andrew Lih wrote:
> On 7/15/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/15/06, Matt Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wikipedia should avoid gratuitous self-reference, but the blocking of
>>> Wikipedia by China is itself newsworthy/articleworthy, IMO.  We have a
>>> [[Wikipedia]] article, after all - not all self-reference is
>>> forbidden.
>> I think that's a good assessment, and good criteria to use. The blocks
>> have been covered in the major media, and the articles ties in with
>> other articles about PRC internet censorship, particularly [[Baidu
>> Baike]].
>
> Well as someone living on the front lines of Wikipedia access in
> China, I do think moving the article to Wikipedia: namespace is the
> correct thing to do. It's not really appropriate for the main
> namespace. It wouldn't be appropriate for any of these either:
>
> [[Blocking_of_BBC_in_mainland_China]]
> [[Blocking_of_Blogger_in_mainland_China]]
> [[Blocking_of_HRIC_in_mainland_China]]

Is there anything like a [[Blocking of external media in mainland
China]] article? I think that would be quite reasonable to have an
article about. And when that article grows to an unwieldy size it would
also be justified to split it up into subtopics much like the ones you
list. So no, I think it's quite appropriate to have those articles, we
may just need a more obvious "parent" article about the subject in general.