[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Jul 15 12:07:36 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I am curious to know whether very many people agree with me that "human
> dignity" is a valid reason for a "delete" vote in a case like this.

Not in the slightest.  That's a POV, which I may or may not agree with,
but which has no place shaping the contents of the encyclopedia.  Either
the subject is not notable, in which case there should be no article, or
he/she is, in which case there should be.  Obviously we don't delete
notable articles because of concerns about "human dignity", as basically
everyone has agreed in several obvious examples like [[Joseph Merrick]].

If we're going to start bringing in other content-based guidelines, then
why is "human dignity" the first or only one?  How about, "delete --
inflames ethnic conflict"?

-Mark