[WikiEN-l] Human dignity

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 23:21:51 UTC 2006

> I would vote "delete, nn - human dignity".  A full explanation would be:
> For goodness sake, leave the poor woman alone.

It's a combination of factors, I think:
- Did she actively seek out this publicity, or was it forced on her?
- Is there an identifiable "cult" surrounding her persona that goes
beyond narrowly limited demographic or subcultural subsets?
- Have other publications using reliable processes (not necessarily
print) picked up the story for some reason other than reprinting it?
Has it ever transcended the "Offbeat News" section?

Human dignity is one argument among many that can be applicable in
certain situations. It's not a catch-all.

What I find most important is that our decisions are consistent. The
fact that controversial decisions are closed by a single admin tends
to work against that, because all our admins have very different
standards. A controversial AfD is a game of dice right now.

I'm inclined to believe that a general principle "the more
controversial a decision is, the more people should be involved in
determining its final outcome" would make sense. A quorum among a
small number of admins in controversial cases, and a policy that such
cases need to be documented as precedents, would be one way to achieve
that.

Erik