[WikiEN-l] newbie culture

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 12 23:19:46 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Neil Harris wrote:
>

>>Arwel Parry wrote:
>>

>>>In message
>>>John Lyden writes

>>>Some of us started out on 10 c.p.s. teletypes and input our first
>>>programs on paper tape....
>>>

>>Paper tape? Luxury. What's wrong with toggling your programs in using
>>the panel switches?
>>

>(mutters something about the luxury of switches and having to rely on
>compass needles twiddling and having to wave magnets, uphill both ways
>in the snow)

I do remember paper tape and drum memories.  The panel switches were an
improvement over having to reconfigure patch-cords.  (IMSAI?)  The
needles and magnets appear to have more to do with the Heathkit analog
computer that you had to put together.  Unfortunately I wasn't old
enough to afford one of those.  I also do remember a first printing
desktop calculator that could automatically multiply; it was a heavy
beast that made one hell of a racket for that operation.  Still that was
an improvement over comptometers that required you to configure your
fingers according to the multiplicand and push and shift in accordance
with the multiplier.  Some early machines would get very confused when
students would naturally try to get them to divide by zero.

Ec