[WikiEN-l] Viral swarming teenage vanity spam

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jul 10 09:25:12 UTC 2006

G'day Michael,

> This is what confused me. If, as it would seem, you're equating the
> response from gamers with that of a jury, then you've got the concept
>  of jury nullification exactly backwards. Jury nullification does not
>  involve a judge or some other higher authority nullifying the
> decision of the jury. Jury nullification refers to the ability of the
> jury to reach a verdict contrary to the law and the instructions of
> the court. Fans of the concept like to cite John Peter Zenger's

I do indeed have it exactly backwards.  And I don't even have the excuse
of never having heard of the concept before (though I don't know too
much about it).  Call it an elaborate brainfart!

> acquittal on a charge of libel as an example of this.

I suppose you could argue that the IAR principle[0] is Wikipedia's
equivalent, then.

[0] In keeping with my decision to name Important Stuff "principles",
     and other stuff "policy" ...

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"