[WikiEN-l] Interesting debate over reliable sources

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 23:35:16 UTC 2006

On 10/07/06, poore5 at adelphia.net <poore5 at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Wikipedia has no way to verify information, seek clarity, or simply
> get a response.  For this reason it is essential that we stick with
> reliable third party sources and sparingly use primary sources
> to fill in details for already verified incidents.

The problem is that here we have an interdiction against using a
medium for a primary source ("...as is demonstrated by the fact Smith
made a post to Usenet in June [1] stating he still held that black was
white...") which *also* prevents us using anything published through
that medium as a tertiary source ("...as has been shown by Smith's
extensive research into monography<ref>"Summary of recent work".
Smith. Post to sci.research.black-white</ref>").

This guideline is foolishly thought-out at best, and actively
problematic at worst.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk