[WikiEN-l] Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Reuters

Jesse W jessw at netwood.net
Sat Jul 8 22:47:49 UTC 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:51 PM, mboverload wrote:
> I don't think that's really possible unless we stop anon users from
> editing.

/me does a double-take.

Someone using the name "mboverload", with a gmail address of the same
form, is claiming that we shouldn't allow people to use pseudonyms to
participate in Wikipedia?

This is a pot calling for the abolition of all kettles, yes?

(And don't try to claim that "mboverload" is your legal name...)

This is presuming, of course, that the OP didn't merely mean to propose
we ban editing without an account (which is a common, although
incorrect, use of the term "anon user").  If that is what was meant,
I'd merely point out that *We* *Have* *about* *Nine* *Hundred*
*Thousand* accounts that don't participate in the community, and making
a new account takes less than a minute.  Requiring accounts is a
(small) speedbump, nothing more - it's not even close to sufficient to
make Wikipedia editors non-anonymous, even to other community members.

mboverload, you've been asked before if you are merely a troll.  Let
this message be counted as another such query.

Jesse Weinstein