[WikiEN-l] Ken Lay's death prompts confusion on Reuters

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jul 6 17:14:45 UTC 2006

Jesse W wrote:

>On Jul 5, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Fred Bauder wrote:

>>>Alexa's numbers are inconsistent. Don't count on them for anything.
>>>

>>There certainly are some strange phenomena but there is a pattern.
>>There is a generational change with canned goods going down and
>>participatory sites going up.
>>

>CNN *is not* our competition!  Not even of Wikinews!  We are *tertiary*
>sources, i.e. we summarize and coordinate what secondary sources make
>of actual facts on the ground (i.e. primary sources).  We'd be
>impoverished and in trouble without CNN, the Stanford Encyclopedia of
>Philosophy and all the rest of the "mainstream media" - We Don't Have
>The Money To Pay Reporters - and even if we did, that's not our
>purpose.

Wikinews explicitly *does* permit, encourage, and conduct first-hand
reporting, and doing that *is* part of its purpose.  It's true that it
doesn't *always* do this.  Many of the articles are written by
summarizing/distilling existing reports, but that's actually true of
most organizations---a huge percentage of news articles even by
traditional news organizations are either outright syndicated from, or
at least based on reports from, major wire servies like the Associated
Press and Reuters.

See: http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Original_reporting

-Mark