[WikiEN-l] Keep and Relist

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 03:01:10 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to push the notion of "keeping and relisting" pages on AfD as
> - an appropriate means of closing controversial AfDs with a high level
> of outside participation
> - a good alternative "vote" to express on such AfDs (e.g. "'''Keep and
> relist''' on AfD in 4 weeks").
[snip]

This would further shift control of the AfD process towards extremists
who are heavily involved pushing their particular agenda and whom are
often the source of the AfD hostility that keeps more moderate users
away from the process.

It's a minority of deletions that are at all controversial, even after
prod. These controversial AfDs are poisonous to the community and
while they are few in relative number they can be large in impact.
They divide us into factions and voting blocks and they encourage
combat rather than cooperation. As such the real problem with
controversial AfD's isn't the outcome of the AfD but the impact on our
users.

As such, I think it is most important that we settle such AfDs as
quickly and efficiently as possible regardless of the outcome. At
times it would seem clearly better to consistently make the wrong
decision then to prolong the arguments... as such I can't see
supporting something thats just going to twist the knife in the wound.

If you were instead suggest something like "relist in one year", I'd
answer that it doesn't take wikien-l discussion or policy changes to
achieve that. ... For the past three months I've been making a list of
every article kept due to what appears to me to be pop-culture mania.
Once each entry is a year old I'll begin proding the ones that
everyone has forgotten about.