[WikiEN-l] Viral swarming teenage vanity spam

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Wed Jul 5 18:25:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:51:23 +0200, "Erik Moeller"
<eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:

>The page was now deleted, in spite of no consensus, and in spite of a
>very large amount of blog coverage and a newspaper report in Politiken
>about it.

There was strong consensus to keep among new, unregistered and
otherwise normally-ignored editors, and what looked to me like
consensus to delete (especially on balance of arguments) among editors
with any kind of history.

I am also uneasy when we keep something which is asserted to be of
massive global significance on the basis of a single reference, in a
publication which is hardly mainstream.  We kept The Game (game) on
the basis of one reference in one Flemish-language newspaper - which
hardly gives credibility to the idea of this as a massive global
phenomenon, as described in the article.  Actually the article should
say it is a game described in De. Morgen which blah blah blah... until
we get more references.  It stretches credibility somewhat that a
genuinely famous thing could escape all the special web sections of
all the mainstream newspapers and journals, including the BBC which
has frequent columns from the likes of Bill Thompson on things
happening on "teh Intarwebs".

Given that we are all internet users, many of us obsessively so, if we
have not heard of it then it may well be that the arm-wavers are wrong
about its significance.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk