[WikiEN-l] [[Geographic_references]]

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 21:24:45 UTC 2006

On 7/2/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> What is this page? It's not an article, but it's in the mainspace.
>
> According to speedy deletion criteria, it would be speediable, but
> it's linked by thousands of articles, so...
>
> Any idea what should we do with it?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_references

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but I saw something very similar
to that recently. It appears to arise from a conflict between two
ideas:
1) Link to some information to explain how to interpret the
information in the infobox
2) Don't link to wikipedia: space, because that would be a self-reference.

IMHO, the second principle is a bad one. There seems nothing wrong to
me with linking to some actual useful information *about the infobox*,
rather than a contrived non-encyclopaedic article in the main article
space.

Steve