[WikiEN-l] Tech or policy question: IP blocks

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 21:12:02 UTC 2006

I'm not sure what the right venue is, so I'm asking here...

What is the technical or policy reason that IP blocks don't let
editors with named accounts log in from that IP or IP range anyways?

If someone starts creating socks, those would seem to be easily
identifyable if they're consistently from the same IP or IP range,
unless you're talking about AOL.

With AOL, it would get past a lot of ongoing frustration and admin
efforts (it seems) if users with accounts could log in and edit even
if the IP range or address was blocked for anon use due to vandalism
etc.

I apologize in advance if this is an old argument, but I haven't found
any explanation and would like to be informed on why it's done this
way now, and whether alternatives have been considered in the past.

Thanks.

--
-george william herbert
gherbert at retro.com / george.herbert at gmail.com