[WikiEN-l] The deletion paradox

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 10:21:10 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Steve Bennett <stevage at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, the vastness of crap on Wikipedia

In order to test the truth of the above assertion, I pressed "random
article" ten times and wrote about what I saw.

The results were as I expected.  Out of ten articles, not one that I
would be completely happy about deleting.  They could all use
improvement, some more than others.  I contend that the phrase "the
vastness of crap on Wikipedia" is extremely misleading.  We have a
quality product and the world is beating a path to our door to sample
it.  Enough breastbeating! We should be proud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTrain_JFK

Rather nice article about a rapid transit system in Queens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claycomo%2C_Missouri

Article about a small village in Missouri.  Extensive use of census information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_J._Skorton

Biography of the President of the University of Iowa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatayu

Disambiguation page.  Leads to two good short articles and one
single-sentence stub.  I added an appropriate stub template to the
stub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/544

A historical link page about the year 544 AD. Sadly it is lacking in
any information about what was happening outside Europe and the
Northern Mediterranean area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis_Pattern

A well written and compendiuous article about a feature of the
Japanese cartoon series: Transformers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narail_District

A stub about a district of Bangladesh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Clemens

A brief biographical article about a professional basketball player
who retired in 1976.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Naples

It does what it says on the tin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksmusik

An article about a German folk music form.