[WikiEN-l] Uploading fair use images in SVG format

Zzyzx11 at Wikipedia zzyzx11 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:31:53 UTC 2006

After dealing with fair use images on user pages, and working with SVG image
files, I have been quietly making some unilateral additions to WP:IUP and
WP:FUC (actually they are corollaries to already existing policies).

The additions in a nutshell: Avoid uploading fair use images in SVG format
because SVGs are, in essence,  infinite-resolution images. They can be
expanded to any size and still maintain the same quality high resolution.

An example of this can be found at [[Wikipedia:Preparing images for
upload#Why you should use SVG over PNG]].

We do not want Wikipedia to become THE source for piracy, do we?
Theoretically, a piracy thief could easily download an SVG logo like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimedia-logo.svg, expanded it to 2
meters in width, and illegally sell them as posters. But he would not be
able to do the same thing with a PNG image like
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia-logo.png since the
resolution will become very, very distorted.

Zzyzx11 at en.wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zzyzx11
zzyzx11 at hotmail.com