[WikiEN-l] A quick references survey

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 31 00:15:55 UTC 2006

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

>>Any suggestions for improved methodology? It might be nice to harness
>>the wikipedia population to collect some more general article quality
>>metrics...
>>

>I think we can have quite a simply solution to this. Do the same as we did
>to the images. Stuff which isn't cited within a week, can be speedy deleted
>like we do with images now. Just make sure it only applies to articles
>created after date X.

This isn't simple; it's simplistic.

While an image is a relatively uneditable form the same is not true of
text.  Any edit can easily invalidate the supporting reference.  Also
any source can be slapped in that roughly deals with the subject and
verifying all the details will not always be easy.  I strongly support
the need for references, but policy needs to adapt to circumstances.
Some facts (such as those about living persons) need to be referenced
more urgently than others.  Article by article negotiations are more
appropriate than arbitrary deadlines.

Ec