[WikiEN-l] Our Pokémon gallery

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Jan 27 19:58:43 UTC 2006

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:

>>Oh, it is, but it's the reason they want to link to us which is
>>worrying. We should *not* be a collection of movie posters or album
>>covers.
>>

>Look at this yummie gallery of 200 copyrighted images:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pok%C3%A9mon_images
>
>Especially yummy, if you wanted to prosecute Wikipedia, is the fact that
>the same entity holds the copyright on all of them. Also interesting is
>that the gallery makes no note of this. It contains no critical commentary
>on the images in question and has no claim to be fair use - nor does it
>assert that it is. It's just a web gallery of pretty little copyrighted
>images used without permission of the copyright holder - about as blatant
>a copyright violation as we could arrange if we tried.

If it's such an awful violation, then why not send a letter to
Nintendo and/or Pokemon USA informing them of this nefarious
activity going on right under their noses?

We're all sitting around trading guesses on this sort of thing,
but an actual note from the copyright holder could put an
immediate end to the back-and-forth, plus it can be quoted to
any future uploaders, plus it can be used in speedy deletion
criteria.

It's such a simple solution, I'm a little surprised that fair-use
opponents haven't tried this already. (Of course, if the copyright
holder officially shrugs about WP usage, or defines what they
consider reasonable limits, that would make it harder to argue
that fair use is always unacceptable, so there's a little risk.)

Stan