[WikiEN-l] fwd: I would like to propose printing and binding the Encyclopedia into a real book

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 17:55:38 UTC 2006

I'm relaying the following message, which was posted at
[[Wikipedia:WikiReader]]. -- Matt

Dear Wikipedia Users,

I am the Senior Sales Manager of a company called myphotobook GmbH. Recently, I
have been thinking a lot about how myphotobook could help support Jimmy Wales’
vision. His idea is to make the knowledge on Wikipedia available for people in
Africa who cannot access the Internet or cannot pay for it. It goes without
saying that this help should be free.

Kurt Jansson, from WikiMedia Germany, approves my project and has advised me to
discuss it with you here so as to get your feedback.

I would like to propose printing and binding the Encyclopedia into a real book,
which would be sold in the “First” World. For every copy sold, a free copy will
be printed and delivered in Africa. This would be a great way to support the
Third World.

Since we print every copy on demand (from one up to as many as required), it
would not cost the Wikipedia Foundation anything, contrary to normal printing
solutions.

A few questions are yet to be answered, such as how the whole work should be
published or whether all entries should be included or not.

I would really appreciate it if you could send me your suggestions.
Those of you who wish to contact me directly can send an email to:

wikipedia at myphotobook.de

Many thanks in advance!

Friendly regards,

Mike Zimmermann