[WikiEN-l] WP:AFD and public relations

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Fri Jan 27 14:22:42 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>Matt R wrote:
>

>>Doesn't seem overly "spikey" to me, unless I've missed further debate
>>elsewhere. Why exactly do these Wikipedians need to "cool it"? As AfD goes, it
>>seems pretty harmless. I'm sorry, but I don't really think it's constructive to
>>shout and swear at Wikipedians based on what appears to be an unconvincing
>>example of us treating outsiders badly.
>>

>Whether he's overreacting or not is actually not so relevant. When we
>piss off people with an audience, they will tend to say so to their
>audience. Is this something to be avoided if possible?
>
>  [  ] yes
>  [  ] no
>
>Feel free to stay in self-righteous denial about a PR nightmare.
>

>- d.

Telling people to cool it won't solve anything, from my experience --
especially in a volunteer project. As I've been saying on [[WT:AFD]], we
need to reduce the volume on AfD so people:

   1. Don't get stressed out and all tense from voting "delete" on a
      dozen garage bands, and carry this attitude over to possibly valid
      article deletion debates;
   2. Are able to devote more time to reviewing the points of fact on
      each controversial debate, and thus come to a more reasoned
      conclusion;
   3. Don't have to worry about brevity for the sake of ensuring all "nn
      bio" articles are deleted -- many AfD regulars keep their comments
      brief because they have to spread their attention over almost 200
      debates everyday.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])