[WikiEN-l] WP:AFD and public relations

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 12:03:13 UTC 2006

--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> The thorny bit was talking about WP:AFD and its ... little ways. He
> sprung on me in the interview that he had created an article on
> himself, it was deleted as "vanity", several of his readers recreated
> it, it was deleted all those times too, and apparently some of the
> deletion discussion comments were more than a little spiky.
>
> So please, when discussing things on AFD ... FOR FUCK SAKE, COOL IT IN
> YOUR COMMENTS AND TREATMENT OF OUTSIDERS. AND PEER-PRESSURE OTHERS TO
> DO SO. Thanks.

Well, you were likely being deliberately ironic, but still, it's not
particularly convincing to shout obscenities at Wikipedians encouraging them to
"cool it" with their treatment of others :)

Personally, I don't think it's a PR problem to have deleted a vanity page from
some podcaster whose best claim for notability appears to be he "has listeners,
so is doing better for notability than a lot of podcasters".

How about we talk about something that vaguely matters? I think it's a much
more serious PR problem for the English Wikipedia that the German Wikipedia is
lightyears ahead of us in distributing CDs/DVDs/print editions. Where's English
Wikipedia 1.0? I heard that the plan was to have it finished by December
2004...

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com