[WikiEN-l] Re: Vatican is asserting copyright

Katefan0 katefan0wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:16:37 UTC 2006

This sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure how it comports with their
announcement:

Publishers will have to negotiate a levy of between 3 per cent and 5 per
cent of the cover price of any book or publication "containing the Pope's
words". Those who infringe the copyright face legal action and a higher levy
of 15 per cent.

The Italian publishing house that got slapped with a $18.4k suit only
contained 30 lines of papal decree.  Obviously a Wikipedia article would
never have even that much verbatim verbiage, but it does seem rather a small
amount for an almost $20k suit.  It then begs the question of what the
quoted cutoff might be.  I think regardless we would be all right as long as
we were paraphrasing.  But ... quoted matter may be a different story.