[WikiEN-l] Re: Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:23:36 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Peter Mackay <peter.mackay at bigpond.com> wrote:
> Is there some acceptable percentage, or do we just have to hope that a court
> will say that 5% or 10% or whatever is degraded enough that we can use it?

There's no number built into the law, and in the various case rulings
it is determined in a very arbitrary way. We purposely avoid specific
numbers (i.e. "no more than 3 per page" or "no more than 400 pixels
wide") because it would just provide a false sense of accuracy and
specificity. It has to come down to good judgment in the end -- it is
easier to say what is definitely not fair use than it is to say what
definitely is.

FF