[WikiEN-l] Re: #wikipedia-en-admins

Sam Fentress (Asbestos) asbestos999 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:50:59 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Sam Fentress (Asbestos) <asbestos999 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is nothing that we could discuss that we would need to ban others
> from listening to and contributing to. Policy? Nowhere is it written or even
> suggested that admins only make policy. Blocking decisions? This is always
> open on the wiki and admin decisions are always transparent and open to
> accountability. How to use admin buttons? Use a talk page, write an email,
> or go to #wikipedia. People we don't like? Edit wars we'd like assistance
> on? Notable polls we want our friends voting in? If people need to discuss
> any of these things, there are plenty of other venues.
>

> This isn't a trivial matter. Outside of email lists, this is the first
> time (as far as I'm aware) that we have any forum designed specifically to
> hide from the rest of the community, to discuss things in secret, to set one
> group over and above another.
>
> I'm not against an admin-oriented channel: just against a hidden,
> exclusive, admin-only channel.
>
> Sam

Since no one else has mentioned this, I just thought I'd throw the question
out again: Is there anything that we, as administrators, need to discuss
that we'd need to ban others from listening to and contributing to?

If not, then I don't care about the odd benefit of being able to have "a
quiet word with a group of trusted editors": the idea of a secret, exclusive
channel needs to be thrown out. You can still have your quiet word on a
moderated, on-topic, non-exclusive admin channel.

Sam

--
Asbestos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Asbestos