[WikiEN-l] Re: #wikipedia-en-admins

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:11:49 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>There are many many times when I need to quietly ask a group of trusted
>editors to look at a problematic article -- for example, we get a
>complaint from someone fairly obscure, on a topic I know nothing about,
>and I look at the article and it is obvious crap.  The channel is
>already proving useful in that regard.

There's an obvious security problem here, of course, in that you have
no way of knowing that someone who claims to be a given admin and who
then gets into the channel is actually that admin.

So I wouldn't recommend its use for stuff that *really* has to be kept
to sane insiders, with "admin" as a rough approximation to "sane
insider" ('cos we don't *usually* get admins who are completely
batshit). But it would be useful in that sense as a saner sounding
board than the average day on #wikipedia. OTOH, you could probably get
as good results on #wikimedia in many ways ...

- d.