[WikiEN-l] Arbcom Committee announcement

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 24 02:30:26 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Garion1000

> On 1/24/06, Ilya N. <ilyanep at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Allow me to be the first to congratulate the new Arbitrators.
>

> Or offer sympathy. :)
>
> But yes, congratulations.
>
> Garion (just browsed through some arb cases)

Congratulations to the appointees. May you be blessed with wisdom, justice
and the good will of the community.

The notes of commiseration and sympathy ring far too true, and I wonder if
there is anything that can be done to reduce the stress level on our senior
magistrates.

I note that High Court judges have assistants and staffs to help them
perform their work, and I wonder if something of the same sort could be
implemented here. Perhaps long-serving admins could be appointed to serve as
assistants for the ArbCom members, doing research and presenting summaries,
dealing with correspondence, maintaining and archiving pages and so on - the
sort of administrative work that requires knowledge and experience, but does
not intrude on the duties of the members. Or perhaps a senior admin could be
appointed to each case as an administrative assistant on a rotational basis.

I say this, knowing that I have been guilty of adding to the stress and
workload of the Arbcom in the past, and for those sins I am heartily sorry.

Peter (Skyring)