[WikiEN-l] Re: Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Jei jei at cc.hut.fi
Mon Jan 23 14:08:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Michael Snow wrote:

> Justin Cormack wrote:
>
>> US law doesnt recognise copyright of sculptures in photos - only
>> 2D art, as there is creativity in making the picture of the sculpture.
>
> Wrong. The creativity involved in making a derivative work does not
> exempt it from the copyright in the original work. Sculptures are
> absolutely just as capable of having copyright as any other work of art.
>
> There is a federal district court case holding that under particular
> circumstances, a sculpture's copyright was dedicated to the public
> domain under a theory of general publication. But otherwise, a
> photograph of a sculpture is subject to the copyright of the sculpture.

Interesting. What about pictures of people? - If I put makeup on my face
and call it a work of art, and someone takes a picture of me in a public
place, do my copyrights still apply? Or if I jog regularly and spend time
shaping and trimming my body, does my unique physique retain it's
copyrights in a similar photograph situation?

// Jei