[WikiEN-l] Re: #wikipedia-en-admins

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 02:58:17 UTC 2006

Jay Converse wrote:
> I disagree with this assessment entirely.  I highly doubt the community
> would support secret decision making.  A consensus would be immensely hard
> to reach simply because you and 15 people go "Well we discussed this and we
> have our reasons".  I highly doubt the community would stand for that at
> all.

Here is the channel topic as it was for about 10 hours before I started writing my post:

"English Wikipedia Administrators' noticeboard, on IRC. Discussions are private and sometimes
privileged. Do not repost without permission. If decisions are made as the result of discussions,
the reasoning should be provided on-wiki."

Clearly they do intend to make decisions. Decisions are an unavoidable outcome of on-topic
discussion. We've seen decisions made on #wikipedia and introduced on to the wiki in this way, but I
don't mind that because IRC conversation is faster and more productive than wiki-based chat, and the
forum is non-exclusive.

> I see the channel as a way to quickly get help for administrative duties
> that non-admins can't provide help on.  As a relatively new admin, I run
> into new problems that I can't figure out myself on a semi-frequent basis.
> It'd be nice to have the availability of a dedicated admin group to respond
> in a much more immediate way than talk pages.  I personally happen to prefer
> IRC correspondence to talk page correspondence for quick issues.

Try #wikipedia.

-- Tim Starling