[WikiEN-l] Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:58:13 UTC 2006

On 1/21/06, Haukur Þorgeirsson <haukurth at hi.is> wrote:
> That wouldn't be a bad thing. But remember that it's not as simple as
> 'free' and 'non-free'. We have *a lot* of images which are in the public
> domain in the United States but not elsewhere.

If I remember correctly, another category is US government works.  The
US government has before asserted that just because US law requires
works of the US government be freely available within the US does not
mean, in their view, that the works are PD elsewhere.  They have
certainly, as I recall, charged non-US corporations for using such
data.

-Matt