[WikiEN-l] more low bandwidth user comments

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Thu Jan 19 17:12:59 UTC 2006

On Talk pages there is a link '+' for adding a comment.
Well why don't you spell out with English etc. what you mean instead
of just this geekspeak '+'.

OK, and if one clicks on this +, one must download 100+ KB of form,
just to add a comment.  Perhaps mostly rarely used accented chars
entry help stuff.

When one sees links like Discussion etc. you might as well give an
article count, e.g., Discussion (21 items). Mainly if there is no
discussion yet, I don't want to click, as I have nothing to say, just
want to see others.

And this 4 tilde for a signature biz. Can't you do this thru
cookie/preferences? How could I remember to do that each time.
No complicated sounding plugin for me.

I even made a script to add comments, that works as long as there is
no funny characters in the page name.
#usage eg. $0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminating_vista
#to add a comment to it's Talk page without downloading the form
set -e
test $# -eq 1
case $1 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*);;*)exit 33;esac
p=$(basename $1) t=/tmp/wikipediacomment.html
wwwoffle -o \
'http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Miso&action=edit&section=new'|
perl -pwe 's@(action=")(/w/index.php)@$1http://en.wikipedia.org$2@;
  s/Talk:Miso/Talk:'$p'/g' > $t
firefox $t

On all pages there is "Go" "Search". Many don't know what "Go" means...

Anyways, hope this gets to wikien-l, where I suppose it is read (as
this is the best bug report address I know.)