[Flag] Re: [WikiEN-l] Another AfD example -- a serious proposal to fix it

Jake Nelson duskwave at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 05:11:36 UTC 2006

Travis Mason-Bushman wrote:
> Again, I point out that there are 15,000+ articles piled up on the Cleanup
> queue. I am *not* just going to tag an article "Cleanup" and let it sit
> there for six months. That is *not* a solution.
>
> Fix the Cleanup system, get an actual Cleanup Patrol going to deal with
> these articles, and I'll be much less tempted to just speedy or AFD
> borderline tripe that I can't make heads or tails of, but sure shouldn't
> just hang around on the encyclopedia like it is.

The "fix" for the Cleanup system is also the source for the people for a
"cleanup patrol": get everyone to stop wasting time at AFD.

This was, in fact, much of the point for the creation of Cleanup in the
first place, but it was only halfway successful: Cleanup was created,
but people kept listing pages on AFD instead.

I keep hoping, "this time it won't get stuck halfway", "this time people
will actually try to fix it instead of just slapping it on AFD and
running"... If we actually convince enough people to dig in at cleanup
and get rid of the backlog, we might be able to dig ourselves out of
this pile. Too often, I still think it'd take Jimbo himself deleting AFD
to make it stick.

-- Jake Nelson