[WikiEN-l] Another AfD example

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:24:26 UTC 2006

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
> >I do not know the exact solution to this problem, but this is part of an
> >ongoing problem with have *most particularly with bios of living people
> >and existing companies*.  "I haven't heard of this" seems to be an
> >instant excuse for "non-notable" and "AfD", which is offensive to the
> >subjects, when the real approach should be _at a bare minimum_ and
> >effort at dialogue with other editors *before* jumping to a "vote".
>

> Jumping into VFD discussions with a reference to this email?

Yes, excellent idea.  I've closed the AfD on Seth Ravin with a
citation to this thread and started a dialog on the talk page.

There does seem to be substantial agreement that a chap whom the WSJ
quoted extensively in an article that was primarily about his
company's grabbing of a lucrative contract for the Georgia State
Pension scheme from Oracle/Peoplesoft is not quite as negligible as
some people seemed to think.  But some people suggest that, really,
the company he was with (which he has since left) is the more notable
for that.

Well in that case we probably need to discuss things.  But it's
probably a good idea to remove the "ticking clock of bloodlust"
element from the discussion, hence my decision to close the AfD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Seth_Ravin_2

(though I expect that by now you may have to guddle through the
history and whatnot--this kind of bold action tends to attract equally
bold reactions, blocks, page protects, fanfares, tickertape parade,
etc).