[WikiEN-l] Google Earth copyright (now that you bring it up)

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Fri Jan 20 22:08:16 UTC 2006

On 20 Jan 2006, at 21:40, Stan Shebs wrote:
> Deleting fair use would take away nearly all book covers, album
> covers, film/tv/game/software screenshots, logos, many symbols,
> modern-day stamps and currency, photos of unusual or rare products,
> works by 20th-century artists, etc. Even if energetic Wikipedians
> were to get busy and stalk all the celebrities to get candid snaps,
> you're still going to end up with an image-less Star Wars article.

So what. We can link to sources of external images (such as official
Star Wars sites).

Making a free encyclopaedia involves certain compromises, such as er
not having non free content.

And even I who wouldnt recognise a "celebrity" if they walked past
managed to take a bad picture of one.

The fact that illustration is a bit biased in coverage is not a real
problem.

What does a book cover add to an article on War and Peace?

Most uses are just decoration, and they are stopping free images
being used to replace them. You can be quite lateral with illustration.

Justinc