[WikiEN-l] a new category for the living

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 15:19:37 UTC 2006

Hello

I am writing this to announce the creation of a new category on Wikipedia-English: [[Category:Living people]]. The category should include the articles of all people who are still alive.

Before getting into arguments about the scope of this category, I would like to take a moment to explain its importance.

With our ever-increasing prominence, it is becoming more and more likely that questionable, unsourced information may sneak into articles, despite all of our goodwill and vigilance. Flagging all articles pertaining to living people will mean that our editors can keep a closer watch on these articles, check new articles more closely as they are created, and help to avoid potential problems.

This is not the ultimate solution. It is, however, one step toward a working solution to ensure that our materials are adequately referenced and NPOV and to avoid potential conflicts with the subjects of these articles.

Please keep this Category in mind when creating new articles and when reviewing existing articles.

Thanks

Danny