[WikiEN-l] Re: Notability meta-guidelines

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 18 18:48:02 UTC 2006

> From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
> [mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Anthony DiPierro
>
> And frankly, the rule doesn't make sense to me.  Providing
> someone with information on something when they request it
> isn't advertising.
> Advertising is when you provide someone with information
> other than what they requested.
>
> IOW, if someone does a search for "Bob's Garage Band" and
> they get information on it, how is that advertising?

If the article is categorised, then the band will appear on a listing,
serving the same purpose as (say) an entry in the Yellow Pages.

I don't go looking for a specific woggle tinkerer when my woggle needs
tinkering, but instead I open up the directory, look through the list and
pick the one closest, cheapest, best, fastest, brownest or whatever my
particular need is, and I base my decision on the advertisements placed by
the woggle tinkering firms.

Pete, whose woggle needs no tinkering at the moment, thank you