[WikiEN-l] Notability meta-guidelines

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 18 15:56:48 UTC 2006

"David Gerard" wrote

>>Steve Bennett wrote:

>>2) A subject should not appear in Wikipedia when many more subjects in
>i>ts category or field do not. {The insignificance principle}

>This is a very bad idea. We lack great swathes of many areas. 2. would
only be a good idea if our systemic bias were negligible, when it's
nothing of the sort; pretending it is is counterproductive.

Agree with David.  In fact this sort of reasoning is rarely useful.  Tell
people to write about what they are not sufficiently informed/motivated to
write about, rather than what they know or are interested in researching and
they are hardly likely to give of their best.

Charles