[WikiEN-l] AFD courtesy problem

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Jan 17 22:59:55 UTC 2006

Kat Walsh wrote:
> Why delete (instead of just replacing the debate with a notice,
> perhaps even protecting it that way, without deleting the existing
> history) unless there's some compelling reason? Non-admins also ought
> to be able to go back and look at the debate.

Well, that's what I've done in a few cases, blank the page as a
courtesy.  But it is often the case that the poor person complains about
it being in the history.

My thinking is that it could be standard practice to temporarily
undelete it upon request anytime anyone has a reason to look at it.

In this way, we take the maximal steps to be sure that we're not
annoying innocent people for no reason, while still ensuring that we
have good information in the event of a second VfD.

Perhaps the rule I am suggesting could be limited to living persons and
existing companies, or something like that, but I really don't think
there's much use at all in these pages unless and until there is a
second debate.