[WikiEN-l] AFD courtesy problem

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:59:35 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's logistically quite tricky to arrange matters so the spiders
> understand the difference between a talk page and a "real" page;
> "allowing" isn't the key, it's "why don't we prevent it", and the
> answer is "if we tried it probably wouldn't work very well".
>
> Not to stop anyone attempting something, but...

Wouldn't adding

Disallow: /wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion

to http://meta.wikimedia.org/robots.txt do the trick?  I assume the
search engines will treat subpages as directories, as they are
separated by slashes.

Can robots.txt use wildcards?  If it can, we could quite easily
restrict caching of the entire Wikipedia namespace, if we wanted (and
I doubt we would), using:

Disallow: /wiki/Wikipedia:*

--
Sam