[WikiEN-l] Unnecessary fork update

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 21:56:16 UTC 2006

On 1/16/06, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> I should add: it's distinctly odd and disquieting to see so many people
> reacting to this with apparent denial - claiming it couldn't really be
> because Wikipedia has places that threat people badly enough that outsiders
> don't want to risk it any more, it must be some other barely-plausible
> reason. (I remember geni trying to make this out to be the case with the
> Comixpedia fork even when it was explicitly because AFD were being complete
> arses.) This is actually a problem and I submit that it's a serious one.
> Is two enough? Will it be a problem with three or four? It's not the fact
> of the forks, it's the reason for them.

I'll point out that there are certain portions of the Wikipedia
population which LIKE the culture of AFD.  These portions are quite
vehemently against any major reform; and so long as AFD continues to
operate (and it will, barring another Uncle Ed incident) they have no
incentive to negotiate over the issue.

Kirill Lokshin