[WikiEN-l] kelvSYC's take on userboxes

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Sat Jan 14 05:54:46 UTC 2006

Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

>Peter Mackay wrote:
>

>>>From: wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org
>>>[mailto:wikien-l-bounces at Wikipedia.org] On Behalf Of Alphax
>>>

>>>When userboxes are getting in the way of the encyclopedia,
>>>the userboxes must go.
>>>

>>What about users? If there were no users, there'd be no problems. Can we
>>please accept that *every* element on the site causes problems of one sort
>>or another and there are very few things that are completely black and
>>white.
>>
>>The current userbox issue is a symptom, not a cause. Get rid of userboxes
>>and some other thing would pop up until the underlying problem is resolved.
>>Shuffling the deckchairs is no solution if the ship is sinking.
>>

>Alright then, here's my solution:
>
>Disable user page creation until a user has reached a certain number of
>edits (the point where moves and the ability to edit semi-protected
>pages are enabled).
>
>My reasoning is as follows:
>
>If a user has made enough edits to articles that they are able to move
>pages and edit semi-protected pages, they have contributed enough that
>they should be able to create a userpage. Userpages should be reserved
>for those who are writing the encyclopedia; WP:NOT a webhost.

While this does not address Peter's original argument -- that there is a
growing divide between the "old" and "new" factions of Wikipedia -- I
must say that I like it. I am concerned, however, that this might be a
bit too arbitrary -- there could very well be a valid reason to have a
userpage before achieving such a number of edits. To cite one example, a
new user was recently blocked because he had the string "WoW" in his
username, and an admin thought he was yet another incarnation of Willy
on Wheels. Once he was unblocked, he made sure his userpage explained
that he had nothing to do with Willy on Wheels and that his name
originated from the online game World of Warcraft. Without such a
clarification, he could have been blocked repeatedly.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])