[WikiEN-l] kelvSYC's take on userboxes

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 14 04:40:34 UTC 2006

Not arguing, but you can make any number of edits you want, just by adding a
space here, taking one away there. If you have to do a whole bunch of these
useless edits before you get to play, how does that help the project?

Besides which, customising a userpage, even if it's only to add in a few
lines, helps new editors feel at home. And they have an immediate place to
try stuff out instead of going to test it out on an article.

The idea is to encourage members to make good edits, not to make them feel
awkward. I get the feeling that a lot of the old salts here would rather we
didn't attract new editors at all.

Peter (Skyring)