[WikiEN-l] userbox : insanity ?

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:18:11 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> On 1/10/06, John Lee <johnleemk at gawab.com> wrote:
>
>>Anthony DiPierro wrote:
>>
>>>Or [[User:Kelly Martin]].  I count one article edit in the last 500,
>>>though I might have missed a few.
>>>
>>>Deleting userboxes is as productive toward the goal of creating an
>>>encyclopedia as creating them.
>>>

>>These people have assumed duties that aid the process of building an
>>encyclopedia which do not (directly, at least) involve article editing.
>>A new user (and pretty much everyone who isn't on the Board, Medcom,
>>Arbcom, etc.) does not have such responsibilities. The only way they/we
>>can help out will almost certainly involve article editing (stub
>>sorting, AfD/speedy tagging, etc.). Even some niche tasks (like
>>preparing spoken articles or uploading images) involve some article editing.
>>
>>John Lee
>>([[User:Johnleemk]])
>

> So, it's bad to not make many article edits.  And the response to my
> comment that there are board members and arbcom members who don't make
> many article edits is that it's OK, because they're board members and
> arbcom members?
>
> I'm sorry, but that seems circular to me.  I think there are lots of
> ways to improve Wikipedia which don't involve any article editing, and
> most of them don't involve admin powers either.
>
> Now let me completely change the topic because I noticed this on one
> of Kelly's edits, [[User talk:Croc Hunter]]: "This account has been
> blocked indefinitely because it has edited from, or was created from,
> the IP address 204.13.170.30, which has been identified as a probable
> compromised webhost or open proxy."
>
> Is it now a bannable offense simply to edit from an open proxy?  If
> so, I'm sure the people over at the or-talk list will be interested to
> hear this.

I've used open proxies for editing in order to determine that those
proxies are indeed open and capable of editing. Does that mean that I
should be banned simply because I "used an open proxy to edit Wikipedia"?

Well, I guess if you *do* get hold of an open proxy that works (many
don't, and it's easy to tell that they don't by the way they mangle
pages), don't tell anyone that you've got it...

Suppose I were to use an "open" proxy because my regular IP has been
blocked (an ISP's shared proxy); would I be blocked for that? Or should
I get my ISP's proxy unblocked so that the half dozen morons who are
vandalising can continue at leisure?

Bug 550 needs fixing, fast.