[WikiEN-l] Re: How to bring back people who don't want to

Mason Patrick E SSgt 28 MUNS/MXWKB Patrick.Mason at ellsworth.af.mil
Thu Jan 12 14:13:12 UTC 2006

Instead of redirecting or deleting, how about getting someone to merge it into the immigration article?

On 1/12/06, Haukur Þorgeirsson <haukurth at hi.is> wrote:
> > Surely it is easier to change an article into a one-line stub than it
> > is to put it through the non-speedy deletion processes.
>
> Let's do a case study. Here's an article which looks to me like useless
> semi-coherent original research which we'd be better off without:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changes_in_immigrant_groups_extended_family_positions
>
> Yet the topic - which the article does a very poor job of defining - is
> probably worthwhile.

Actually I don't think the topic is at all appropriate for an
encyclopedia.  It'd make a good essay, but I seriously doubt you'd see
such a title (or indeed any which start out "Changes in...") in, for
example, Britannica.  For Wikipedia sometimes we get strange article
titles like this for what is really a subpage of another article, but
that doesn't seem to be the case here.

> How would you recommend we proceed?

Redirect to [[extended family]] (optionally merging if you think it's
worthwhile).

> Can you quickly salvage a coherent useful stub out of this?
>
> Regards,
> Haukur

Anthony

> > How would you recommend we proceed?
>
> Redirect to [[extended family]] (optionally merging if you think it's
> worthwhile).

Actually, I'd recommend implementing semi-deletion so that the article
could be deleted while the content kept viewable by everyone.  But
since semi-deletion doesn't exist, redirects are the next best thing.

Anthony