[WikiEN-l] Re: Re: userbox : insanity ?

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:40:36 UTC 2006

"Anthony DiPierro" <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote
in message
news:71cd4dd90601110429s40cd6cdby363bfb3d01010c9e at mail.gmail.com...
On 1/11/06, Phil Boswell
<phil.boswell at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Anthony DiPierro" <wikilegal at inbox.org>
> wrote
> in message
> news:71cd4dd90601101110n590dc1c4j45a6d17d6a112da8 at mail.gmail.com...
> On 1/10/06, Chris Jenkinson
> <chris at starglade.org>
> wrote:
> > Anthony DiPierro wrote:
[snip]
> > > Yes, I'm running an open proxy, specifically a proxy which anonymizes
> > > http connections.  See http://tor.eff.org/.
>
> > That's not an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_proxy, that's an
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_Router which is an entirely different
> beast.
>
> I suppose you'll excuse my confusion which is based on the fact that
> Tor exit node IP addresses are regularly blocked as open proxies :).

You're not alone: I came across a certain amount of confusion whilst I was
looking those up.

In one place there's a notice that Tor users are not welcome on Wikipedia
because of the capacity for anonymous vandalism.

OTOH I also found instructions for Tor users in China to get around the
problem accessing Wikipedia from that country.

Strikes me that the latter would be pointless if the former always held
true...

HTH HAND
--
Phil