[WikiEN-l] Attack templates

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 10:08:29 UTC 2006

Following general discussion last week, I've pressed on in trying to
develop a strategy for dealing with the worst excesses of userboxes.
Focusing solely on attack templates--whose sole purpose is to
disparage their subject--I performed some test speedies yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tony_Sidaway/Attack_speedies%2C_2006-01-10

There is considerable support for most of these deletions, but
significant resistance, and I'm not presently clear how firm that
resistance is.  Some of the templates have been restored, usually in a
somewhat toned down form.

The discussions are taking place mainly on:

Wikipedia:Deletion review:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:DRV#More_attack_templates

Wikipedia talk: Criteria for speedy deletion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Criteria_for_speedy_deletion#Attack_templates

Policy discussion is perhaps a little premature, but there does seem
to be substantial consensus that some templates at least should be
speedily deleted as attacks, perhaps by extension of an existing
criterion for speedy deletion that is currently applied largely to
articles.