[WikiEN-l] userbox : insanity ?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Tue Jan 10 15:36:28 UTC 2006

I think there is a genuine fear of factions or parties and the host
of actions which might follow. This was highlighted by what seemed to
be attempts to organize a Catholic faction. Part of the problem is
potential escalation. First there is point of view editing, then tag
team reverting, alerts to other members of the faction. Then imagine
an arbitration case and we, looking at these folks, make some kind of
remedy. Then all the usual kicking and screaming and politicing which
follows what is perceived as an unfair decision follows. Whether an
administrator enforces the remedy becomes an issue of whether there
is anti-catholic bias and so on. Arbitrators are googled to see if
they ever engaged in Catholic or Protestant activity, etc.

Substitute communist or anti-communist for Catholic and take a look
at the Nobs case for a real life example.

The problem is real, but it is in the context that we not only don't
want to exclude people with strong points of view but welcome them
for what they can add to articles which relate to their point of
view. So I think the problem is not preventing factions but insisting
that those who share a point of view act responsibly within the
policies and purpose of Wikipedia.

Actually any Wikipedia project serves as an organizing vehicle for
factions. We certainly would not want to hamper Wikipedia projects.

Fred