[WikiEN-l] userbox : insanity ?

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Tue Jan 10 12:23:31 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>On 1/10/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

>>>The difference is experienced users tend to contribute to article space
>>>as well. Many userbox fanatics make minimal or no edits to articles. (Of
>>>course, most people with userboxes aren't fanatics; I have quite a few
>>>userboxes myself. But there are a few rogue bunch out there who seem
>>>more intent on userboxes than building an encyclopedia.)
>>>

>>Take a look at the edits of [[User:Jimbo Wales]] and [[User:Anthere]].
>> There are productive things to do other than edit articles.  (This is
>>not at all to knock their contributions, it is instead to knock the
>>notion that article count means everything).
>>

>Or [[User:Kelly Martin]].  I count one article edit in the last 500,
>though I might have missed a few.
>
>Deleting userboxes is as productive toward the goal of creating an
>encyclopedia as creating them.

These people have assumed duties that aid the process of building an
encyclopedia which do not (directly, at least) involve article editing.
A new user (and pretty much everyone who isn't on the Board, Medcom,
Arbcom, etc.) does not have such responsibilities. The only way they/we
can help out will almost certainly involve article editing (stub
sorting, AfD/speedy tagging, etc.). Even some niche tasks (like
preparing spoken articles or uploading images) involve some article editing.

John Lee
([[User:Johnleemk]])