[WikiEN-l] Effects of fixed release version on a Wikipedia? (was Ads on Wikipedia?)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:29:50 UTC 2006

The Cunctator wrote:

>I think there are better revenue streams for the Wikimedia Foundation
>to be pursuing, in particular CD/DVD dead-tree versions of
>Wikipedia/Wikibooks, although those will corrupt the nature of the
>project too, perhaps in worse ways, so who really knows.

Has de: been corrupted in this sense by the DVD edition? (I'm not
entirely clear on what you specifically mean here by "corruption,"
though I'm very aware that a fixed version will have strong side
effects on the dynamics of the wiki, good and bad.)

As I understand it (and would welcome correction), Digitalmedia's
genius move with this was to set out their quality needs in such a way
that the de: Wikipedia volunteers would *want* that work to be done
(polishing, referencing, fact-checking, etc).

I really really really want en: to be good enough to pull a DVD-ROM
edition from!

- d.